Dental Digital X-Rays
Dental X-rays, also known as radiographs, are a diagnostic tool used to examine internal structure of the teeth and gums. At Marino Dental on Darrow in Akron, Ohio, we use the latest digital X-ray technology to provide high-quality images that simultaneously minimize radiation exposure for our patients.
In What Circumstances are Dental X-rays Needed?
Dental X-rays are an essential part of a comprehensive dental exam and are used to detect a wide range of oral health issues. They are typically used to:
- Detect cavities and other signs of tooth decay
- Evaluate the health of the jawbone
- Identify any abnormalities, such as cysts or tumors
- Plan for orthodontic treatment
- Assess the progress of ongoing treatment
- Assess the health of the tooth root and surrounding bone
Types of Dental X-rays
There are several different types of dental X-rays, each with a specific purpose.
- Bitewing X-rays: These are used to visualize the upper and lower teeth in one section of the jaw. They are typically used to detect cavities and assess the health of the jawbone.
- Periapical X-rays: These are used to visualize one entire tooth from the crown to the tip of the root. They are typically used to detect cavities, abscesses, cysts, and other abnormalities.
- Panoramic X-rays: These are used to visualize the entire mouth, including the teeth, jaw, and sinuses. They are typically used to plan orthodontic treatment, evaluate the health of the jawbone, and identify any abnormalities.
- Cephalometric X-rays: These are used to evaluate the head and neck structures. They are typically used to plan orthodontic treatment and assess the progress of ongoing treatment.
Digital X-ray Technology
At Marino Dental on Darrow, we utilize digital X-ray technology, which uses a digital sensor instead of traditional film. This technology provides a number of advantages over traditional film X-rays, including:
- Lower radiation exposure – Digital X-rays emit up to 90% less radiation than traditional X-rays
- Faster results – Digital X-rays can be examined instantaneously on a computer monitor, allowing for faster diagnosis and treatment planning.
- Enhanced image quality – Digital X-rays provide higher-resolution images, which allows for more accurate diagnosis and treatment planning.
- Environmentally friendly – Digital X-rays do not require the use of chemicals for developing, which is better for the environment.
Dental X-ray Safety Precautions
Dental X-rays are considered safe, and the radiation exposure is minimal. However, pregnant women and children should be sure to inform the dentist before getting X-rays, as extra precautions may be needed. At Marino Dental on Darrow, we use lead aprons and thyroid collars to protect patients during the X-ray process and we also monitor the radiation levels. The safety of our patients and our staff are our highest priority.
At Marino Dental on Darrow in Akron, Ohio, we are dedicated to providing high-quality dental X-ray services to our patients. Our team of experienced dentists and dental professionals use the latest digital X-ray technology to provide accurate and detailed images that allow for proper diagnosis and treatment planning. If you have any questions or concerns about dental X-rays, please don’t hesitate to let us know at the time of your visit. We’re here to help you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile and x-ray technology helps us do just that. Contact us today for more information about our digital x-ray services.